Cult of the News - October Edition (Eric Buscemi)
The Cult of the News is a monthly feature covering notable game releases, crowdfunding news, social media tidbits, and other interesting news from around the board game industry.
- Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 was released at Essen Spiel.
- Fantasy Flight announces Eldritch Horror campaign expansion Masks of Nyarlathotep.
- Piecekeeper Games announces Gearworks, coming to Kickstarter on November 4.
- AEG announces Junta: Las Cartas, to be released on November 22.
- Garphill announces Architects of the West Kingdom, coming to Kickstarter in Q1 of 2018.
- Eclipse to get second edition from Lautapelit.fi in 2018.
- Portal announces Robinson Crusoe: The Lost City of Z expansion, which will include five missions “forming a long and epic campaign.”
- Alea announces The Rise of Queensdale at Essen, a legacy style game designed by Inka and Markus Brand.
- Hasbro announces Stranger Things Kellogg’s Eggo Brand Card Game, to be released this Fall.
- Mobile apps for Smash Up and Cottage Garden released in October.
- One Deck Dungeon to get a digital app version from Handelabra.
- The 7th Continent reprint, Sunset Over Water, Dinogenics, News @ 11, Detective City of Angels, and Tiny Epic Defenders: The Dark War all successfully funded on Kickstarter in October.
- Kickstarter campaigns that also launched in October and have funded, and are still live, include: Best Treehouse Ever: Forest of Fun, Legends of Sleepy Hollow, Near and Far: Amber Mines, Root, and Too Many Bones: Undertow.
- Van Ryder announces Detective City of Angels will be the first Van Ryder Select game, and will not go to retail after the Kickstarter campaign.
- Richard Garfield’s Carnival of Monsters launched in October, seeking $261,000 in funding, and was cancelled after drawing less than anticipated interest.
- Essen Spiel adds the new InnoSPIEL award, a new prize given by a jury to the most innovative game. It was won by Magic Maze
- Wizkids announces new partnership with Games Workshop, to release board games set in the Warhammer 40,000 Universe starting in mid-2018.
- Fantasy Flight discontinues its Banzai! chant ahead of Legend of the Five Rings tournaments.
- Sony Pictures is in negotiations to acquire the rights to adapt “The Settlers of Catan” into a movie.
- Tom Vasel expressed some controversial opinions regarding "Saving the Local Game Store," which caused GAMA to make a statement condemning his comments, which then resulted in an apology from Tom Vasel.