Cult of the News, March Edition (Eric Buscemi)
New Game Announcements:
- Quined introduces Carson City - the Card Game for its Masterprint pocket series, which will release in Q2 2018.
- Green Couch Games announces Filler, a multi-use card game for 2 to 6 players that plays in 20-30 minutes, designed by Jonathan Chaffer, the designer of Stroop. The game is set for a Kickstarter campaign launching on April 11, 2018 with plans for a Q3 2018 release.
- Renegade Game Studios and Saban Brands are partnering to create Saban's Power Rangers tabletop games.
- Renegade Game Studios and Frosted Games announced a partnership to release upcoming games in English. The first game under this new agreement will be Reykholt, designed by Uwe Rosenberg.
- In Q3, USAopoly will release Samurai Jack: Back to the Past, based on the fifth season of the animated series.
- River Horse Ltd. announced they are partnering with Legendary Entertainment on a miniatures-based board game titled Pacific Rim: Extinction, which will be a scenario driven, strategy game with huge, detailed, painted 75mm scale miniatures of the iconic Jaegers and Kaiju from the film.
- Devir gearing up for its first launch of 2018 -- Gretchinz! The game is in partnership with Games Workshop, set in their Warhammer 40k setting.
- WizKids Announces the Mage Knight Board Game: Ultimate Edition, original game plus all expansions in one box.
- Renegade Game Studios partners with Garphill Games to co-publish a new trilogy of games starting with Architects of the West Kingdom.
- Nyctophobia will be released by Pandasauraus at Gen Con 2018.
- Choose Your Own Adventure interactive book series announces a partnership with Z-Man Games to create the first-ever board game based on the Choose Your Own Adventure series.
- A Trogdor tabletop game is coming from boardelectrix.
- Deep Water Games announced that it has signed and is developing Aaron Andrew Wilson’s Sovereign Skies, set for an early 2019 release.
- TMG announces new Philip duBarry design Embark, which is set in the Harbour-fantasy universe.
- Hasbro announces Monopoly Gamer: Mario Kart, available now via GameStop and at other retailers on June 1.
- Quined announces an expansion for La Cosa Nostra called Guns for Hire, which will release in Q2 2018.
- Aporta Games working on expansion modules for Santa Maria.
- Osprey Games announces The Lost Expedition: The Fountain of Youth & Other Adventures expansion, scheduled for release in September 2018.
- Upper Deck Entertainment revealed that the next big expansion for Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game is Legendary: World War Hulk, a 400-card set featuring the "Planet Hulk" and "World War Hulk" storylines that will be released in June.
- Jamey Stegmaier says in update "Jakub is going to work on the art for the modular board (yes, I finally figured out how to make a modular board for Scythe!)"
- Viticulture: Visit from the Rhine Valley will be available from retailers starting on June 1.
- A Raiders of the North Sea solo variant is being released for online sale in about 2-3 months.
Release Date Announcements:
- Clank! The Mummy's Curse, the second expansion for Clank!, available in stores on April 4.
- Looney Labs is releasing Anatomy Fluxx and Get the MacGuffin on April 5.
- North Star Games will be releasing Capital as Warsaw: City of Ruins, this June into distribution.
- Ultimate Werewolf Legacy, co-designed by Ted Alspach and Rob Daviau and published by Bezier Games, is releasing at GenCon 2018.
Digital Board Game Announcements:
- Terraforming Mars coming to Steam, iOS and Android Q2 of 2018.
- Digidiced making progress on Isle of Skye app.
Other Game Tidbits:
- Knight Models cancels Kickstarter plan for Harry Potter miniatures game, opts for pre-order model.
- Next Move Games replaces the Azul cardboard first player token with a resin token in the newest printing of the game.
- Hanzi did not get printed with the Deepwater Games Herbalism campaign, and will be delayed.
- Renegade reveals the cover of Overlight, artwork done by Kwanchai Moriya.
- Magic has adopted "they" as the preferred third-person-singular pronoun for a player, replacing "he or she."
- Phil Eklund: “I have only until May to get rid of the games in inventory. This means over one thousand games of Bios:Genesis, Bios:Megafauna, and John Company will be destroyed unless I can sell them by then, or find a cheap new home [by May 1].”
- Restoration Games' Fireball Island prototype is going on a U.S. tour in April.
- Shut Up & Sit Down criticizes Monolith’s ongoing support for its Conan board game in its review of Batman Gotham City Chronicles. Monolith responds and it is added to the review.
- The CIA releases board game design documentation used to train agents thanks to Freedom of Information Act request.
Other Industry Tidbits:
- Funagain is going out of business and liquidating its stock. “Unfortunately, we've had to make a very tough and difficult decision. Funagain Games will be ceasing our online retailer operations in the coming months.”
- Tabletop Network -- a conference for tabletop game designers, focused on learning, collaboration, and inspiration -- announced.
- Nuno Sentieiro and Paulo Soledade will work as full time designers for What's Your Game.
- Jason Brenner leaves Upper Deck Company as Senior Brand Manager, and joins PlayFusion as head of North American Sales. Marie Poole leaves her position of Chief Business Officer at Lone Shark Games and becomes the CEO of development company Fire Opal Media, according to ICV2.
- CoolStuffInc.com addresses industry concerns with authentic product guarantee.
- Bruno Faidutti blogs about the growing number of published games and the impact on the industry. (Scroll down for English translation).
- Funded: AuZtralia, The Big Score, Space Park, Argonauts: 2nd Edition, Robin Hood and the Merry Men, Bad Medicine,
- Launched: Werewords Deluxe, Architects of the Western Kingdom, Dinosaur Island: Back from Extinction, Dragon Keepers by Vital Lacerda and Catarina Lacerda, Vinyl, Fire in the Library, Songbirds, Mottainai: Wutai Mountain, Good Dog, Bad Zombie, Girl Genius: The Works, Highways & Byways, Imperius, Heroes Welcome, Unbroken, Flip & Find's Diner, Freedom Squadron - A Savage Worlds Setting.
- On April 10 at 3pm EST, CMON's Zombicide Invader is coming to Kickstarter.