Cult of the News, July Edition (Eric Buscemi)
- Plaid Hat announced Guardians, a two-or-four player game designed by Callin Flores.
- Artist Kwanchai Moriya teased artwork for a new edition of The Game from Pandasuarus that will be a Target exclusive in the Fall.
- Plan B’s Next Move Games announced Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra, designed by Azul creator Michael Kiesling. It is scheduled to be released at Essen Spiele in 2018.
- Wonder Forge announced Disney Villainous, where players take on the roles of classic Disney villains Maleficent, Ursula, Jafar, Prince John, Queen of Hearts, and Captain Hook. Disney Villainous will be on store shelves at Target, Walmart, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and local game stores on August 1, for a suggested retail price of $34.99.
- Renegade announced Spell Smashers, designed by Chris Cheung, coming in October.
- Plaid Hat announced Neon Gods, designed by Isaac Vega, now available for pre-order.
- TMG announced it was publishing Trade on the Tigris, a new game from designers Ryan Sturm and Geoff Engelstein. Trade on the Tigris will have a greater release later in 2018, but TMG will have a small number of copies to be sold exclusively at Gen Con.
- TMG also announced it was releasing Jungli-La, designed by Hisashi Hayashi, to a wider audience. Jungli-La will also see a wider release later in 2018, but TMG will have a small quantity of copies to be sold at Gen Con.
- Some details about upcoming Red Raven Games' Sleeping Gods, designed by Ryan Laukat, were revealed on the game’s BGG page. The game will be a cooperative campaign atlas storybook game.
- Z-Man Games announced Pandemic 10th Anniversary edition that will come in a custom metal box and feature detailed miniatures. Pandemic 10th Anniversary will be released in Q4 and will retail for $99.99.
- CMON Limited announced the upcoming release of Wacky Races, designed by Andrea Chiarvesio and Fabio Tola, in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products, based on Warner Bros.' popular Hanna-Barbera cartoon. It will be available in early 2019 in both a regular and deluxe edition. The deluxe edition will come with pre-painted miniatures, while the regular edition will include one-color miniatures.
- Capstone announced its first original titles, Pipeline, designed by Ryan Courtney with art from Ian O'Toole, coming soon.
- Plaid Hat announced Comanauts, a cooperative Adventure Book game for 2-4 players, "set in the twisted, sometimes bizarre confines of a slumbering mind." The Plaid Hat website said the game would be available in 2-5 months.
- Oink Games announced VOID, for 1-99 players, 1-1000 minutes. VOID is a work of art that was created for the "Is This a Game?" exhibition held in the Akihabara section of Tokyo from May 29 to June 3, 2018. VOID includes many strange tiles, along with dice and a marker, but it contains no specific rules on how to use these components to play a game. Well, sort of - you use these materials as you wish to create a game scene, then you take a photo or video of that fabricated game scene and upload it to whatever social networking services seem appropriate for you and your fellow players using the hashtag #voidgame. Whoever receives the most "likes" on their post wins.
- Renegade announced a deluxe version of Arboretum, which will be available in November as part of the Renegade Limited series.
- CMON Limited announced that they have partnered with Need Games!, an Italian RPG publisher, to design and publish Zombicide: The Role-Playing Game, based on the board game franchise.
- Plaid Hat announced GEN7: A Crossroads Game.
- Gamelyn Games announced Tiny Epic Mechs, an arena style player-vs-player action-programming game and the newest entry into the Tiny Epic series, which will launch on Kickstarter on September 13.
- Upper Deck announced Legendary Encounters: The X-Files Deck Building Game, which will debut at Gen Con 2018.
- AEG announced Scorpius Freighter.
- Plaid Hat announced two new expansion decks for Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, The King of Titans and The Ghost Guardians.
- Matagot released some new elements from the upcoming Kemet: Seth expansion.
- A second expansion for Celestia has been announced, Celestia: A Little Initiative, which will allow players to leave the airship and travel alone in a rowboat.
- Eggertspiele announced an expansion for Michael Kiesling and Andreas Schmidt's Heaven & Ale. The expansion provides new strategic options for players, including a new player board to coordinate the delivery of their monastery's glorious brew to local taverns.
- Fantasy Flight announced a new expansion for Fallout: The Board Game -- Fallout: New California.
- Roxley Games announced Dice Throne: Season 3 on the Kickstarter page for Dice Throne: Season 2. There is no release date yet for the third season.
- Renegade Game Studios and dlp Games announced the first expansion to Altiplano -- The Traveler -- which adds more locations, resources, and strategy to the game.
Release Date Announcements:
- AEG released the Mystic Vale: Twilight Garden expansion, the fifth expansion for Mystic Vale, on July 11.
- Arcane Wonders will re-release Tiefe Taschen as GoodCritters in September. The 4-8 player game will be the next addition to the Dice Tower Essentials line.
- Brain Games will release Ice Cool 2, the sequel to Ice Cool, in September. Ice Cool 2 can be combined with Ice Cool, and is then playable with up to eight players with a new game mode called "The Race".
- North Star Games announced it will release Most Wanted on October 1.
- Grey Fox announced that they now anticipate launching Reavers of Midgard on Kickstarter in October.
Digital Board Game Announcements:
- Hardback from Fowers Games is now available on both iOS and Android.
- Digidiced announced it will create a digital version of Castles of Burgundy.
- Digidiced also announced it is bringing Stockpile to digital.
- Digital board game developer and publisher Playdek and war games publisher GMT Games announced the launch of a long term partnership that will see Playdek developing digital adaptations of select GMT titles, including Labyrinth: The War on Terror, and Imperial Struggle. The first COIN game adaptation will be announced in the future.
Other Game Tidbits:
- Azul won the Spiel des Jahres award, while Die Quacksalber von Quedlinburg won the Kennerspiel des Jahres award.
- Next Move Games announced that Azul, which was released at Essen 2017, has exceeded 320,000 games sold.
- IDW Games announced it has expanded its tabletop gaming partnership with Toei Animation for the Dragon Ball franchise in the U.S. and Canada. Dragon Ball Z will get a miniatures game to coincide with 30th anniversary of the anime series in 2019. Additionally, IDW will extensively support the Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball Super brands with games releases through 2021.
- Renegade Game Studios and Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab announced Overlight beauty products.
Other Industry Tidbits:
- Eurazeo is in exclusive discussions to sell Asmodee to PAI Partners.
- According to BoardGameGeek, Christian T. Petersen, founder of Fantasy Flight Games, is stepping down from his position as CEO of Asmodee North America at the end of 2018.
- Grey Fox Games and Board & Dice have expanded their convention partnership.
- Designer Reiner Knizia publicly stated “I will not act as a judge in the Yoka-sponsored World Original Design Contest, nor can I recommend anyone to participate in this contest.” He added that “Yoka Games (China) have a history of copying games, like Lost Cities and Bang! I condemn Yoka`s attitude towards intellectual property rights.”
- Alderac Entertainment Group announced the theme for its 2020 Big Game Night -- Games Designed by Women. They are looking for 3-4 great games designed or co-designed by women, and are accepting submissions through November.
- Funded: Gravity Warfare, Combo Fighter, Getaway Driver, Tang Garden, Gorus Maximus, Coldwater Crown: The Sea, Cthulhu: Death May Die, SPQF: Deckbuilding in the forests of Antiquity, The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls, Snowdonia: Deluxe Master Edition, Dawn of the Zeds: Third Edition Reprint + Three Expansions, Eclipse: Second Dawn for the Galaxy, Jetpack Joyride, Rurik: Dawn of Kiev, Delta Green: The Labyrinth RPG, INCOMING TRANSMISSION.
- Launched: 14 Board Games from Africa (Indiegogo), Trogdor!! The Board Game, Thunderstone Quest Back to the Dungeon, Escape Plan, Sabotage, Radiant Offline Battle Arena, Unfair expansion - Alien, B-movie, Dinosaur, Western, Call to Adventure featuring Name of the Wind, Run Fight or Die: Reloaded, Terrors of London.
- The Overturn Rising Sands Kickstarter campaign from Foxtales Studios is under fire for plagiarizing their rulebook from Massive Darkness, with the CEO of CMON saying they've filed a DMCA notice against Foxtales Studios. When this came to light, backers begun fleeing the project in large numbers. The campaign was eventually suspended by Kickstarter.
- Dr. Horrible's Evil League of Evil was cancelled after raising over $10K on Kickstarter because publisher Lucky Troll Games and designer Nicholas Engel didn't secure the Intellectual Property rights before the campaign.
- What's Your Game has delayed the Kickstarter campaign for the second editions of Madeira and Zhanguo.