Cult of the News, August Edition (Eric Buscemi)
- Lucky Duck Games and Halfbrick have partnered to bring another of their digital game titles to the table -- Fruit Ninja. Fruit Ninja, a card drafting game that mixes push-your-luck and grab-the-totem, released at Gen Con.
- Fantasy Flight announced KeyForge: Call of the Archons, from legendary game designer Richard Garfield, at Gen Con. KeyForge will be available in retail in the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Fantasy Flight also announced Arkham Horror Third Edition at Gen Con. It will be available in retail in the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Renegade Game Studios and Hasbro announced co-operative board game Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid, designed by Jonathan Ying.
- Stronghold Games announced Aftershock, designed by Alan R Moon and Bobby West.
- Renegade Game Studios announced Passing Through Petra, a new sixty minute Euro game by J. Alex Kevern that will be released in October.
- Pandasaurus announced it is working with Rob Daviau and JR Honeycutt on Machi Koro Legacy.
- Restoration Games announced Return To Dark Tower, adding that Rob Daviau and Justin Jacobson have enlisted Isaac Childres as co-designer.
- Steve Jackson Games and Games Workshop announced Munchkin Warhammer 40,000, coming to game stores in early 2019.
- CMON announced a new campaign-based Bloodborne game.
- Brandon Sanderson announced that in fall of 2019, Brotherwise Games will release Call to Adventure: Stormlight, a game based on Sanderson's Stormlight Archive book series. The game will use the Call to Adventure game system.
- Hexagram 63 Games Studio announced they have signed Magnificent Marvels, designed by Paul Owen and Keith Ferguson.
- Hexagram 63 Games Studio announced they have signed Krakatoa, designed by Barb Hirschfelder.
- Tasty Minstrel Games teased Ghosts of the Moor, designed by Wolfgang Kramer and Michael Kiesling.
- Quined Games announced a second edition of Firenze as the 23rd game to the company's Masterprint Series for Spiel 2018.
- Van Ryder Games announced they will be releasing five more Graphic Novel Adventures books and a cooperative Graphic Novel Adventure board game for 1-4 players.
- Fantasy Flight announced Discover: Lands Unknown, a unique game of exploration and survival from Corey Konieczka, which plays one to four players. “As a Unique Game, every copy of Discover: Lands Unknown is unlike any other in the world.” The game is expected to release in the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Analog Lunchbox released information about Airship City, which they plan to sell at Essen.
- Aporta Games releases details on Rebel Nox, new team-based trick-taking card game set in the world of Capital Lux, with art by Kwanchai Moriya.
- Board&Dice announced Sierra West, “a novel take on action programming, worker placement, and deck building in this highly thematic Euro-game” designed by Jonathan Pac Cantin.
- Rather Dashing Games announced Wakening Lair, a 2-6 player cooperative game that plays in 30-40 minutes.
- Days of Wonder announced The River, a new, worker and tile-placement game from Sebastien Pauchon and Ismael Perrin.
- Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig was announced by Stonemaier Games as part of a collaboration with Bezier Games. It was designed by Ben Rosset & Matthew O'Malley.
- Renegade Game Studios, Albino Dragon, and Sony Pictures announced Ghostbusters: The Card Game, co-designed by Daryl Andrews and Erica Bouyouris and featuring illustrations by Jacqui Davis and Todd Bright.
- Renegade Game Studios and Dire Wolf Digital announced a new expansion for Clank! A Deck-Building Adventure! -- Clank! Expeditions: Gold and Silk -- which features two more maps and dwarvish meeples. It will be available in retail beginning in October.
- Fantasy Flight announced Mother of Dragons, a new expansion for A Game of Thrones: The Board Game.
- Rio Grande Games announced Dominion: Renaissance, the 12th expansion to Dominion. It has 300 cards, with 25 new Kingdom cards. There are tokens that let players save coins and actions for later, Projects that grant abilities, and Artifacts to fight over.
- Plaid Hat announced the Shattered Alliances expansion for Starship Samurai.
- Z-Man announced Carcassonne Expansion 9: Hills & Sheep, to be released in Q4.
Release Date Announcements:
- Looney Labs has boldly gone where no Fluxx game has gone before. As of August 2nd, Star Trek Fluxx and Star Trek: The Next Generation Fluxx are available at local game stores.
- Bellwether announced the retail release of Mars Open.
- Red Raven Games announced the release of Megaland, available in North America exclusively through Target, and outside of North America through regular retail distribution.
Digital Board Game Announcements:
- Isaac Childres announced that a digital version of Gloomhaven is in the works, produced through Asmodee Digital and Flaming Fowl Studios.
- Handelabra is currently working on a port of Indie Boards & Cards' cooperative deck-builder, Aeon's End, and should have a digital version released in 2019. They've also signed a licensing deal with Greater Than Games to bring Spirit Island to digital. They haven't even started work on Spirit Island yet, but still plan on releasing it before the end of 2019.
- BattleCON Online was approved by Steam, and launched on Friday, August 31.
Other Industry Tidbits:
- Indie Boards & Cards and Stronghold Games announced the pending merger of the two publishers, and the formation of a new force in the hobby game industry: Indie Game Studios. Action Phase Games, previously acquired by Indie Boards and Cards in 2016, will also be folded into the new entity and the three distinct brands will be maintained moving forward.
- Greater Than Games announced it would acquire Cheapass Games, with the merger likely being completed in early 2019.
- Asmodee entered into exclusive negotiations for the acquisition of Galapagos Jogos.
- Game publisher Victory Point Games has joined Tabletop Tycoon as a publishing imprint retaining the VPG brand and logo.
- Blue Orange Games signed a partnership with the NGO Ishpingo to replant two trees in the Amazon forest in Ecuador for each tree used in the production of its games in 2017, so 2378 trees were planted for the 1189 trees used.
- Funded: Dobbers: Quest for the Key, Sabotage, Escape Plan, Tiny Trees - The Competitive Tree-Growing Board Game, Run Fight or Die: Reloaded, Trogdor!! The Board Game, Super Camelot! The 16 Bit Adventure Board Game, Bargain Quest Second Printing + The Black Market Expansion, Liberation.
- Launched: Power Rangers: Heroes of the Grid, The Ancient World (2nd Edition), Colonialism - A Game of 19th Century Imperialism, Queen Games Essen Releases -- Skylands / Franchise / Bastille, A Thief’s Fortune, Thieves Den, Guild Master, INFAMOUS - A Game of Evildoing for 2-5 Supervillains.